Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Booze, fags, blokes, and me.

From: afcpeters@aol.com (AFC PeterS)
Date: 1 Mar 1994 04:56:04 -0500
Subject: Re: Booze, fags, blokes, and me.
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@aol.net

<<I know it sounds cliche to hear this when talking about the quality of a
performer's or a band's music, but her earlier stuff was just plain better.
While TSW and TRS are both phenomenal albums, all of her earlier stuff is
*unearthly*.  I'm not a musician, but I feel that the complexity etc. of music,
while not unimportant, is not the be-all end-all.>>

Well, a lot of her earlier material was pretty complex. In many ways, she's
stripped down what she's doing musically. I agree that TSW and TRS are not her
best work - indeed, I'd go so far as to say they're not particularly good
albums, period.

My opinion is that the problem lies in the way that they were recorded. These
albums were the product of Kate's retiring to her home studio, with Del Palmer
taking the boards as engineer. I love his bass playing, but I think his
engineering is mediocre. The albums simply sound bad, and the best elements of
the songs get obscured. I think Kate did better with more experienced and
talented engineers. It may also be that the personal relationship with Palmer
actually hinders the creative process in the studio.

I think she needs to get out of the house, or bring in a real engineer, and
possibly a co-producer for the first time in years.

Peter Stoller