Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: Booze, fags, blokes, and me.

From: tom@nebula.tbe.com (Tom McCown)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 13:57:09 -0600
Subject: re: Booze, fags, blokes, and me.
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: tom@nebula.tbe.com

>Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 13:19:23 +1200
>From: dyer_pd@kosmos.wcc.govt.nz
>Subject: Booze, fags, blokes, and me.
>
>somewhat embarrassed when it comes to this creative period of her life.
>I have to ask myself why? Has she forgotten why she wrote these albums.
>Has she forgotten the feelings and emotions which drove her to write these
>powerful lyrics and create such wonderful imagery through her music.
>I wonder does she REALLY feel uncomfortable about her earlier work or does
>she think that she SHOULD feel uncomfortable about it in the light of todays
>wishy-washy, un-confrontational music.

Kate is and always has been a perfectionist, a fact that very few who have
listened to her music at length would dispute.  It is the very nature of a
perfectionist to be unsatisfied with one's work, and this is all that Kate
is displaying in these comments.  Kate knows better than anyone what she
has inside her, and what she truly wishes to accomplish.  We can only listen
and speculate.  She is the final authority, and the best person to decide
her success or failure in creating the music she heard in her head/felt in
her heart, which is NOT to say that she is always the best judge of her art
and how effective it is to others...but she most certainly has a right to her
opinion in the matter!

>Although I love The RED SHOES it really just doesnt compare to Kates earlier
>work and despite any reservations that Kate herself has about her recording
>history, I would love to see her re-examine herself and get back to the
>powerful emotional centre of her music and the real soul of Kate Bush.

>sigh<!  This has been debated to death here...to be brief, I fall on the
side of those who think she shouldn't try to re-create the past.  I also
think she should do exactly what her muse urges her to do...if it takes
her down paths that are different from others she has tred, leading her
away from what she was trying to do in her earlier work, then so be it.
I don't think there is anyone that truly connects with Kate as an artist
who feels she has betrayed them, either with _TRS_ or anything else she
has ever released.

							-TOM-

"...I stand outside...this woman's work..."