Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori Amos?

From: pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman)
Date: 28 Feb 1994 13:02:37 -0600
Subject: Re: Tori Amos?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

David.Vinson@lambada.oit.unc.edu (david eugene vinson) writes:
>In article <2kqdcv$nca@ionews.io.org>,
>Mark Terka <werewolf@ionews.io.org> wrote:
>>Sorry guys....but can someone give me more info on Tori Amos? I see her
>>name popping up ALL over the place (particulary in the pagan oriented
>>newsgroups).
>>I take it she is a folk musician with a taste for the eclectic, much like
>>our own (ie Canada's) Loreena McKennit. Is she a paler version of Kate
>>or something?
>Exactly. You could not have put it any more plainly. She's enjoyable,
>some of her songs are interesting lyrically, and I enjoy both of her albums
>immensely, but she is still Kate-Lite. Or, God help us, Katemania!

EXACTLY WRONG.

Tori is HARDLY a "folk musician", any more than Kate is an "irish musician".

She hasn't gone into the depths of studio madness that Kate has explored,
but then Kate has hardly bared her soul as deeply as Tori does on
Little Earthquakes either.  Each has points of similarity with the
other, but to denigrate one because they aren't the other is stupid.
--
Pete Hartman		       Bradley University	pwh@bradley.bradley.edu
                     Nobody looks good with brown lipstick