Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

First Time Kate

From: sarah.trowbridge@ehbbs.com (Sarah Trowbridge)
Date: 22 Feb 94 07:27:00 GMT
Subject: First Time Kate
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

DJZ->I'll always have a special place in my "heart", however, for Lionheart,
DJZ->simply because it was the very first Kate Bush album I EVER heard.

DJZ->If anyone out there dares to remember what a disco wasteland
DJZ->we were living in then, they will surely recall how remarkably
DJZ->DIFFERENT and refreshing this new artist was. I had just received my

DJZ->So there's another "first-time" story.  Anyone else care to spin the bottle

It was a disco wasteland, but remember: there _were_ oases beginning to appear
at that time. I was enjoying the beginnings of Elvis Costello, Talking Heads,
and the B-52s around the time you're referring to.

I never cared for _Lionheart_ a bit, with the exception of the "title" track.
My first Kate experience was when my great good lifelong friend Carole said,
"Hey, there was this singer on Saturday Night Live, did you see her?" Of
course, I hadn't. But her boyfriend's sister had _The Kick Inside_, which we
borrowed & listened to over & over. I bought my own copy, and listened to it
over & over.

When _Never For Ever_ showed up in the import bin at the local record store,
I bought it & thereby acquired effective aural ammo against my sorority girl
roommate. She couldn't stand to be in the same room with Kate's voice coming
out of the speakers! I loved it. Vengeance was mine for the time when she
put REO Speedwagon on my turntable and let the one album side repeat all night
long!

Since you asked,
ST
---
. SLMR 2.1a . Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

----
| Ed Hopper's BBS - Home of uuPCB - Usenet for PC Board - Atlanta, GA       |
| Node 1 - USR HST - 404-446-9462    Node 2 - V.32bis - 404-446-9465        |