Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Thoughts on _The Red Shoes_

From: wagreiner@ucdavis.edu ()
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 00:30:44 GMT
Subject: Re: Thoughts on _The Red Shoes_
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@rocky.ucdavis.edu (News Guru)

In article <CLL7HM.n3r@world.std.com> rpk@world.std.com (Robert P Krajewski) writes:

>"And So Is Love" -- kind of overwrought (but heh heh, wait until the
>last track).  Umm, now why is Eric Clapton God again ?

Well, now I am not Clapton's biggest defender, because I think that the
"Clapton is God" stuff came about in part because Clapton was, at one
time, a pretty good blues guitarist who happened to be white.  Many
excellent black guitarists every bit at good (often better) than Clapton
have been relatively ignored.  BUT the "Clapton is God" movement started
for the most part after Clapton had appeared on the album the Bluesbreakers
by John Mayall and Eric Clapton and if you really have any interest in
Clapton and why he was considered such a good guitarist that is the place
to look.  Still, I think that his was the best instrumental part on the
Red Shoes album.  That probably reflects less on Clapton and more on the
other musicians that appeared on it.

>odd way of trying to "simplify" things in such a complicated way by
>using loops, and generally trying to synthesize a live feel in the
>assembly process instead of just getting live ensemble performance in
>the first place. Some of the drum sounds stick out like a sore thumb,
>and some of the digital "gloss" degrades into crud.

I certainly concur with this point.  I would love to hear Kate backed
by a live ensemble.  (Ando, her first tour doesn't count.  I want a
*live* ensemble....)

Wade