Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Why TRS Is Not A Success

From: giliath@UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU (Nicholson, Christopher)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 1994 05:53:00 GMT
Subject: Re: Why TRS Is Not A Success
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (USENET News System)

In article <29722.9402170504@daiches.cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, rjc@cogsci.edinburgh.ac.uk writes...
>In article <Pine.3.05.9402161732.A18118-c100000@atlas.cs.upei.ca>, Fiona McQuarrie (fm) writes:
>
>fm> Flame me now and believe me later....
>
>No flame, but I'm at a total loss as to why you think it should matter
>how TRS behaved in the charts. Most everything I listen to regularly
>has never been anywhere near the charts, by those standards TRS is a
>blazing commercial success. Stayed in the UK charts long enough and
>high enough to be down right embarassing to buy.
>
>I suspect it wouldn't be possible for KaTe to have a big single hit in
>the US with anything that we wouldn't find embarassing. It would have
>to be aimed squarely at the single buying public, which means 13 year
>olds. On the whole, I'd be happier for the effort to go into songs
>aimed at, er, slightly more mature listeners :-).
>
>--
>rjc@cogsci.ed.ac.uk		Where's me zimmer frame...

Couldn't have said it better myself!  Who gives a crap how well Kate's albums
do commercially?  I mean I wish her all the best financially, but if her music
pleased the lowest common denominator it would amost certainly suck!!  And
someone was talking about Tori Amos and touring- I think Kate has done
phenomenonally well seeing as how she doesn't tour.  If Tori marketed herself the
same manner as Kate would she do as well?