Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Koanheads

From: am672@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (David J. Zimmerly)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 1994 01:17:08 -0500
Subject: Re: The Koanheads
To: <rec-music-gaffa@math.waterloo.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@freenet.carleton.ca

In a previous article, dfleenor@nettech.com (super dave?) says:

V>The real version:
>
>Scene:  Feudal Japan.
>
>A young acolyte approaches the local Zen Master for the day's lesson.
>
>"Master, what is the greatest acheivement in human history?  What is the
>pinnacle of human creation?"
>
>The Zen Master smiled serenely, and said, "That would be 'The Dreaming',
>by Kate Bush."
>
>The young acolyte then proceded to smack the Zen Master in the head with a
>2 by 4.
>
>When the Zen Master woke up, the young acolyte was holding a copy of 'Never
>For Ever'.
>
>The young acolyte smiled. "Thus endeth the lesson", he quipped.
>
>-Super Dave, philosopher at large.

Agreed! This one favourably tickled more of my nerve cells upon first
listening than did The Dreaming (although it's still a great album).

I'll always have a special place in my "heart", however, for Lionheart,
simply because it was the very first Kate Bush album I EVER heard.
Wuthering Heights may have been Kate's first hit, but my first hit of
Kate arrived on the luscious opening chords of Symphony in Blue; not a bad
initiation either.

If anyone out there dares to remember what a disco wasteland
we were living in then, they will surely recall how remarkably
DIFFERENT and refreshing this new artist was. I had just received my
first pair of decent headphones for Christmas and was anxious to try them
out on some worthy music. This guy on our floor had just bought this
"great new album" after experiencing it himself for the first time when a
date of his brought her copy over to "entertain" them...He lent me the
album and I was immediately hooked. It was like coming out of musical
purgatory.

So there's another "first-time" story.  Anyone else care to spin the bottle?