Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: You're The One -- NOT

From: Mike.Gallaher@msfc.nasa.gov (Mike Gallaher)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 94 16:26:35 CST
Subject: Re: You're The One -- NOT
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

Doug Alan vies:

>>   Jon Drukman claims:
>>   > if you don't see a substantial difference in complexity between
>>   > "you're the one" and "get out of my house" then i don't think we
>>   > have any basis for conversation, as we're speaking entirely
>>   > different languages.

>>   Ho! "You're the one" not complex? Do you think it's easy writing
>>   such a powerful, sad song? You're kidding, right? (I am moving the
>>   discussion to a different level here - of course i _know_  GOOMH
>>   sounds more complex, but achieving such sadness in a song like YTO
>>   is as hard as achieving anger in GOOMH. Een andere taal, inderdaad.

> Your reasoning explains exactly why "Under The Ivy" is such a great
> song.  "You're The One", on the other hand, just sounds boring and
> kind of cliched.  Sorry, Kate.

> |>oug

Got to agree, Doug; "You're the One" is the "Reaching Out" of this CD.
Several things about it annoy me:

1) The pronunciation "Ev'rythin'"  NOONE in real life drops the final
   g from the word "everything."  Kate's never heard anyone do it, Kate
   doesn't do it, she never has sang it that way, so why such an annoying
   affectation?
2) The lyrics: I just don't buy 'em.  Does anyone believe that Kate's
   ever experienced this?  Or anything much like it?  Not me.  "I'll pick
   up all my things" indeed!
3) Cheesy mono synth line.  Tackiest little fill I've heard in 20 years.