Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Dreaming

From: Marcel Rijs <100276.2176@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 11 Feb 94 16:19:02 EST
Subject: Re: The Dreaming
To: <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

Hi everyone,

Rob Petrone writes:
> I'm not trying to flame anyone here, I'm just searching for a
> "deeper understanding."  Could someone tell me *why* The Dreaming
> is nearly everyone's favorite KaTe album?

I don't know. I know why it is _my_ favourite album: there's a lot
in it that has had impact on my life through the years. First, it
was the first album I ever bought of Kate. It was in August 1985,
when RUTH was just released, and I realized that Kate Bush was that
"strangely interesting artiste" that I liked some years ago. In
expectation of Hounds of Love I decided to buy the first 4 albums
first. The Dreaming was cheapest of them all, so I bought that. It
took me a year to like _all_ the songs.
I remember being extremely bored at the long-winded violin solo in
"Houdini".
I remember the tick in "Night of the swallow", Kate always sung
"Meet them ove-(o-oh) I'll just pilot the motor" until I bought the
CD in 1987.
I remember the first time I was actually _moved_ by those violins
in "Houdini".
I remember how I fell in love with a girl, just before summer
holidays which would separate us for two months. Who knows what
would happen in that time. ("I'm scared of the changes")
I remember hating a lot of people ("I'm barred and bolted and I
won't letcha in")
I remember so much things, all these emotional parts of my life
which just seemed to fit in with the angry, grim feelings I carried
in my heart for years and years. "The Dreaming" is just one of a
few albums thgat helps me deal with sombre, depressed moods I have
occasionally now, and many times then. ("The wall" and "Blessed are
the sick" being other ones.)

> I always thought the album exalted production over substance and
> that the lyrics were no more deep than anything else she's ever
> done.  Neither do the compositions strike me as masterpieces.  So
> what is it?  WHY does everyone love this album so much?

I don't know how long you know/have the album or how many times
you've listened to it, but if you listen to it more and more,
you'll find somuch hidden meanings and sounds that you'd be
surprised.
One thing is certainly true: the compositions are indeed no
masterpieces, at least, in comparison with other _KB_ work. The
lyrics, though, lash out to you and the music accompanying them
just _fit_. I don't know... an album doesn't have to be a
masterpiece to _fit_. I consider HoL/tNW to be a masterpiece, but
have a hard time deciding which is better: tD, HoL or tSW.

Jon Drukman claims:
> if you don't see a substantial difference in complexity between
> "you're the one" and "get out of my house" then i don't think we
> have any basis for conversation, as we're speaking entirely
> different languages.

Ho! "You're the one" not complex? Do you think it's easy writing
such a powerful, sad song? You're kidding, right? (I am moving the
discussion to a different level here - of course i _know_  GOOMH
sounds more complex, but achieving such sadness in a song like YTO
is as hard as achieving anger in GOOMH. Een andere taal, inderdaad.

Now, sweet dream(ing)s all...
Marcel F G Rijs                                  CIS: 100276,2176
Den Haag                                   Internet: mfgr@sara.nl
Netherlands                              a71599mr@hasara11.bitnet