Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Song of Solomon (was: Sex and the single symbol)

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 1994 17:45:17 GMT
Subject: Re: The Song of Solomon (was: Sex and the single symbol)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@media.mit.edu (USENET News System)

In article <9402070829.AA16779@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.Arizona.EDU>
arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.Arizona.EDU (Alex Gibbs) writes:

>   Don't want your mystique, your showing-off, your macho bullshit.  Give
>   me you, open up.  Do it just for me, because you want to do it *for*
>   me, and I can do it for you, just the same.

I have a different interpretation.  I think that in the beginning of
the song the narrator is tired of "love" and romance.  She doesn't
want to be tied down, she doesn't want any emotional baggage, any
traumatic relationship bullshit -- she just wants some good sex, she
wants her itches scratched.  By the end of the song, however, she has
fallen in love again and her attitude has changed.  She didn't want to
originally, but now she has fallen in love and will do anything for
her man, even "come in a hurricane for him".  This is the song of
everyone who walks the path of the solitary heart.

Does anyone know what the Rose of Sharon and the Lily of the Valley
are?  Who are Isolde and Marion, and how do they relate to the song?

A wop bam boom,
   <nessus@mit.edu>