Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Rose of Sharon and Lily of the Valley

From: Alex Gibbs <arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.Arizona.EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 16:06:20 -0700
Subject: Re: Rose of Sharon and Lily of the Valley
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Doug:
> In article <CL046t.MvK@ucdavis.edu> wagreiner@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu writes:
>
> > I have always assumed this is just a way for her to say "I am really
> > pretty."  Roses and lillies are generally attractive things.
>
> I suppose that one should not also overlook the vaginal symbolism of
> flowers, epecially in a song about sex.

That and rose *buds* fit rather nicely into lilies.  Seen the
erotically animated flowers in _The Wall_ by Pink Floyd?

What with the SoS Chap 2 Bible quotes I'm beginning to think my post
about the same didn't make it.  Just inDIGESTion I guess.  ;)

AlexGibbs arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.arizona.edu |\| | (~, |-| ~|~ |-| /-\ \/\/ |<
"The quality of TV is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle ratings dropeth
to a very tiny percentage share, and, lo, tis gone.  <pause> Of course
Shakespeare would have loved your rating system; 12th Night would have been
lucky to have lasted one."  - Max Headrom, last Max Headroom TV episode