Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Rose of Sharon and Lily of the Valley

From: wagreiner@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu ()
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 20:24:07 GMT
Subject: Re: Rose of Sharon and Lily of the Valley
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu (News Guru)

In article <CL046t.MvK@ucdavis.edu> I wrote:

>From the Bible's Song of Solomon Chapter 2, line one:
>
>I am arose of Sharon,

Arrgh!  Of course this should have read "a rose".  It was late last night
when I typed it in.  :-)

>a lily of the valleys.
>
>As a lily among brambles,
>so is my love among maidens.
>

>I don't know what it really means, and I'm not sure that Kate knows anything
>about them beyond that fact that they sound neat.  It may have some deeper
>meaning, but I bet Kate was just reading SoS and liked the sound of them.
>Of course the Sharon part is a reference to the Plain of Sharon south of
>Nazareth and near the coast of the Mediterranean.  I have always assumed this
>is just a way for her to say "I am really pretty."  Ros and lillies are
>generally attractive things.

Of course these last two sentences are meant to refer to the Biblical
narrator, not Kate.  But I should have said:  I have always assumed ...
pretty or precious and special."  "As a lily among brambles" = as something
attractive or precious and special among weeds or something generally considerednasty.  Of course Kate is putting her own twist on it, but I presume this
is the source.

Wade