Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Dreaming

From: allen_watson@quickmail.apple.com (Allen Watson III)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 00:17:50 GMT
Subject: Re: The Dreaming
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@gallant.apple.com

In article <9402071739.AAwcgc05954@relay1.UU.NET>,
V1180G%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Rob Petrone) wrote:

> I'm not trying to flame anyone here, I'm just searching for a "deeper
> understanding."  Could someone tell me *why* The Dreaming is nearly
> everyone's favorite KaTe album?  I always thought the album exalted
> production over substance and that the lyrics were no more deep than
> anything else she's ever done.  Neither do the compositions strike
> me as masterpieces.  So what is it?  WHY does everyone love this
> album so much?

Ooh, flame-bait!

To try to give a serious answer, I think it's because it was the first
album to chart in the US, and I think that's because it has less of the
idealistic (--a Brit might say twee--) aura that many people detect about
the first three albums.  I think many Americans like the darker aspects of
TD--especially the heavy metal sound of "Leave It Open" and the threatening
sound of "Houdini" and "Night of the Swallow."

Not that I don't like the first three albums; every now and then I go back
to them with great pleasure.