Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Dreaming

From: agough@sedona.intel.com (Andy Gough)
Date: 8 Feb 1994 01:32:31 GMT
Subject: Re: The Dreaming
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9402072104.AA03184@dlsun87.us.oracle.com>, jdrukman%dlsun87@us.oracle.com (Jon Drukman) writes:
> Rob Petrone jabs a stick in a hornets' nest:
> >Neither do the compositions strike me as masterpieces.  So what is
> >it?  WHY does everyone love this album so much?
>
> as i said, it's a masterpiece of audio sculpture.  kate's voice is at
> its peak - strong and authoritative.  the songs are incredibly deep -
> i still find new ways to look at certain lyrics, 12 years on.  it's
> other major strength for me is that most of the songs tell stories.
> kate doesn't write that kind of track much anymore and i think it's a
> real shame.  she did it better than pretty much anybody.

Another thing comes through on _The_Dreaming_ is EMOTION.  Whatever the
emotion is, it's slapped in your face at full intenisty, no holding back.
"Audio sculpture" is a good description for it, really.

Rob, perhaps you're not listening to it loud enough?  When my car stereo
was upgraded from 8 watts to 20 watts, it sounded _much_ better.

> all this would be enough by itself but the other point that really
> kicks the dreaming into the stratosphere is its uniqueness...  there
> was nothing like it prior to its existence and nobody has done
> anything like it since either.  (including kate... darn.)
>
> so there you go.
> --
> Jon Drukman                                         jdrukman%dlsun87@oracle.com

Don't forget the Love-Hounds Canon:
	_The_Dreaming_ is the * only * album that exists.  It's existence
	denies the reality of all others.

Regards,
Andy
--
Disclaimer:
     All views expressed are my own opinions, and not necessarily