Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate on NPR

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 94 12:15:36 EST
Subject: Re: Kate on NPR
To: Mike Mendelson <MJM@zylab.mhs.compuserve.com>
Cc: <ecto@ns1.rutgers.edu>, <Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET>
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Peter Gabriel..Tori Amos..

MJM says:

> Although I'm sure alot of people heard this too,
> Kate Bush was featured on Morning Edition
> (National Public Radio, US) this (Friday Jan. 21) morning.
> She said some interesting things.  I didn't tape it,
> but the spoken parts were pretty minimal so someone might
> transcribe it.  She said singing for her was not essential...
> but writing music was.  They played some clips from TRS.
> Very nice.  Wish Happy would get featured like this.

I heard it too! Funny, a bunch of people were in #ecto and 3
of us were listening to it at the same time: Alex Gibbs in
Tucson, AZ, Steve Lamb in Sacramento, CA and yours truly in
Chicago. It was Steve's first exposure to Kate too (now he
hates me, now he has *another* great artist to get into :-)).

They played bits from RG, ASIL, SOS and MOP (everyone got
their abbreviation guide handy...?). The main report was
by Andy Lymon(sp?) with quotes from David Stanton (anyone
know who he is? they just said "music reviewer") and bits
of Kate talking. It was an interview done specifically
for NPR, so she must have done it while in New York. (Though
isn't Morning Edition taped in Philadelphia or Washington?)
It's nice to know she did *something* besides the Tower
signing while in America :-)

Chris is, at this very moment, working on a sound file...details
to come. I...um...can't guarantee I'll be able to transcribe it.
At least, not today. Anyone else a faster typist?

This reviewer fella, David Stanton, mentioned Tori Amos and Jane
Siberry as a younger generation of singers who have been influenced
by Kate. Of course...but it's still always nice to hear their
names on the radio. National radio, at that. Wonder how many
people heard this interview? (We can guess at quite a few thousand
stuck in horrible traffic jams in Los Angeles alone.)

Kate's voice is so beautiful! I've always adored her speaking voice.
(I'll never forget the first time I heard it. Lovely, lovely Peter
Fitzgerald-Morris sent me a wonderful tape with radio interviews.
I got it in the mail, yelled "YAY!!", zoomed in to the house yelling
for my sister-in-law to COMEHERE!COMEHERE!! and ran into my room
where the cassete deck was. She came running in, thinking that the
bedroom was on fire or something and screamed "WHAT'S WRONG???" and
I held the tape up, and said "Look! Kate *SPEAKS*!" (ok, so she wasn't
quite as excited as I was :-), but I still have and cherish that tape
Peter. Through the years, it has always been dear to me. Thank you.)

Vickie

ps, heya, does anyone know how to get in touch with these guys David
Stanton and/or Andy Lymon?