Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-55 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Lily" and religious references

From: smc@gandalf.rutgers.edu (kirke)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1993 15:20:04 -0500
Subject: Re: "Lily" and religious references
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Vicki,

	A quick note:  you made an interesting point:

	"Reading that, I can't help but imagine that no *real* psychic,
fortune-teller, medium, yadda, would *ever* consider "making a living" off
their "talents."  Right?"

	In my experience, real Tarot readers, by which I guess that you
mean "reasonably accurate, genuinely talented" readers do not make a living
off of readings.  Like Chris's father, I am noyt a professional.  I am a
graduate student and T.A.  I read cards for my own pleasure, for the joy
of the art, and because it is my talent.  All genuine readers--in the
sense of trustworthy, talented readers---that I have met thus far also
read "on the side."  Some charge a small fee.  Some don't.  Some provide
a range (sliding scale) from which clients choose their level and give
all clients the option of saying, "No, this didn't help me, and I would
prefer not to pay you for the last hour and a half."  This is my system.
In my experience, though, very few people (excepting friends) choose
not to give something in return: 15-20 dollars, a backrub, some candles.
	I think you may also misunderstand the paradigm in which many
readers work.  This whole concept of "supernatural" often doesn't apply.
Most readers don't claim unusual powers; most believe they are drawing
on natural abilities that are the birthright of all humans.  They often
feel that they have a talent for interpreting the cards, but not that
they have access to underlying "special powers' that are outside the
grasp of ordinary people.
	I encourage anyone with an interest to learn to read for themselves.
You may explain it any way you like, but if you are drawn to it enough
to want regular readings, you should consider learning to do it for
yourself.  Many, many readers agree with me.
	I think that you and Chris may be working with a set of stereotypes
about anyone involved in "occult" pursuits.  stereotypes often carry a
seed of truth (for example, many readers and mediums are charlatains (sp?)
in search of easy dollars) but they restrict one's vision only to that
one seed.
						kirke
						smc@gandalf.rutgers.edu