Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-55 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Lily" and religious references

From: aj796@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Tippi Chai)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1993 20:33:42 -0500
Subject: Re: "Lily" and religious references

In a previous article, chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) says:

>From what we can gather from the credits
>and interviews, Lily is a real person, probably the elderly woman who
>appears in the song and the _Rubberband Girl_ video.

You probably mean the US version of the RBG video, which I have not seen.
But in the film, which I *have* seen <gloat>, Lily's name is in the credits
for that video.

In the "Lily" video, I don't remember KaTe drawing a pentagram or any
shape.  Lily draws a cirle of fire around herself, with her walking cane.
(I wish it were a more elaborate prop cane rather than a regular one;
it seems Lily simply walked off from her living room onto the set.  But
then again perhaps that *IS* the intention of KaTe.)

When KaTe invokes the 4 angels, they appear as they are called, each with
an object of power.  I remember a Staff, a Sword, and a Silver Beach Ball -
okay, an Orb.  The angels are dressed in white pseudo-Japanese samurai
style clothing.  Then as KaTe walks forward, they move with her,
protecting her.  So, from what religion would the staff, sword and orb
come from? (I can't remember what the fourth one is, but Micheal has
the sword and Uriel the orb.)

Aside: I was playing a game called "Taboo".  You have to make up verbal clues
to a hidden word to the members of your team and they have to guess it to
score points, but you cannot use "taboo" words associated with each hidden
word.  One of our team members gave the clue "Micheal is one of these in
the Bible." and I yelled "Angel!" and scored a point.  People who knew we
were quite surprised coz I'm totally non-religious!  Thanks KaTe!

>All mediums are, by definition, phony.

By *your* definition, Chris.  I almost never took part in flame wars (except
in rec.music defending KaTe's music before rec.music.gaffa came into existence)
but I must express my difficulties with your postings.  The way I see it,
you are saying "All paranormal stuff is garbage.  Kate is a cretin to believe
in this bullshit, but **I** know better.  Therefore all of you should take
**MY** word and ignore all this bunk."  While your statement may be true,
most people don't like it when you express your views condescendingly and
the immediate reaction is "Oh yeah? and who are **you**?" and the insults
start to fly.

>  A bit of history...my dad was a magician, a stage magician, many of our
>family friends are magicians and a couple were "mentalists."

That explains it.  Having been brought up around people who use "fake
paranormal" events to make a living undoubtedly closed your mind to the
possibility that such events may exist.  Remember, absence of proof is not
enough to prove its absence.  (Well, I made that last bit up myself but it
makes sense to *ME*, OK??)

Chris, it may be your personal style to express your views with such
subjectivity, but if perhaps you could tone it down a little, we could
have less of this flaming back and forth and devote more of our energies
to discussing KaTe's Art!  (And please don't say "Gaffa won't be gaffa if
there aren't flames" - it's like saying "Where would we be without lying
policians in the government."  I'd say "better off"!)
--
Tippi Chai, Toronto, ON, Canada             aj796@freenet.carleton.ca
"It's really happenin' to ya!" Kate Bush    "My past is warpaint" Happy Rhodes