Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-55 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Lily" and religious references

From: chai@utcc.utoronto.ca (Tippi Chai)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1993 00:46:04 -0500
Subject: Re: "Lily" and religious references

>I'm not involved in this, and Chris and I generally don't fight each
RobH has told me by email that the tools the angels use in the film are indeed
from the "Golden Dawn" tradition, namely : Raphael - staff, Gabriel - cup,
Michael - sword, Uriel - orb.

        **** WARNING : Personal opinion and arguments ahead ****

Vickie Mapes <vickie@pilot.njin.net> wrote:

>aj796@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Tippi Chai) writes:
>> The way I see it, you (Chris) are saying
>> "All paranormal stuff is garbage.  Kate is a cretin to believe...

>[Chris] does *not* think she's a "cretin" and it *wrong* for you to
>put such a word in his mouth.

Okay, I guess I didn't make myself clear.  I'm *NOT* saying that
	Chris said ...
but rather
	Chris' post made me react as if he had said ...

>>That explains it.  Having been brought up around people who use "fake
>>paranormal" events to make a living undoubtedly closed your mind to the
>>possibility that such events may exist.

>"...to make a living..."? Reading that, I can't help but imagine that no
>*real* psychic, fortune-teller, medium, yadda, would *ever* consider "making
>a living" off their "talents."

I'm saying that magicians make a living out of fooling people with
sleight-of-hand tricks.  Chris is saying that there *CANNOT* be any
real mediums etc. which I don't agree - I think there are, possibly, people
with real supernatural powers; I give them the benefit of a doubt.

>Mr. Williams didn't "make a living" from being a magician. He was a cop ...

Alright, I made a mistake by inferring "My dad was a magician" to mean
"My dad was a professional magician".

>I personaly don't
>think [Chris] has a closed mind at all, he just refuses to take the paranormal
>and supernatural on faith alone.

Well, since I do not know Chris personally, I can only judge him from the
posts, which *to me* sound arrogant and condescending, and deny the existence
of the supernatural completely.

This will be my second and last post on this subject.  (Unless I have to
publicly apologize for any new mistakes I made :-O )
--
**********"We all breathe the same air" KaTe Bush
Tippi Chai, Toronto, Canada  <chai@gpu.utcc.utoronto.ca || chai@utorgpu.bitnet>