Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-53 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

December will be Magic (again!)

From: steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 93 18:02:52 PST
Subject: December will be Magic (again!)
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Hi there!

Well, this spudboy is going on vacation to sunny, warm Boston for the
holidays, so I'll be gone from this haven of flame wars (amongst the
small smattering of KateNews) for the next fortnight.  (For those
ga-ga adament about tracking me down, contact |>oug, who can contact
Joe T., who knows where I'll be).  Yes, I'm going Home for Christmas,
where it's Warm and Soothing.

ObReview:

"Show a Little Devotion":  Not a bad song, but certainly not one of
Kate's better efforts.  Sounds sort of like something you'ld hear over
the end credits for some mediocre film.

"Home for Christmas":  This is a cute song!  Putting aside any opinions
about the aestetic value of Kate's post-HoL stuff, or the production
work thereof, you have to admit that the actual task of playing the
(non-synth) instruments is done staggeringly well;  that's where Kate's
reputation as a perfection remains inarguable (for the record, *I* think,
IMNSHO, that the production & aestetic values of TSW & TRS are perfect,
too, with a couple of exceptions I won't get into here).  ANYWAY, in
this song it's NICE to hear the acoustic guitar being played rather badly.
It's certainly the most HUMAN song Kate's done since, oh, "Under the Ivy".
(I'm not comparing the two - I'm just saying that sometimes KATE BUSH the
Major Deity tends to overwhelm whatever work I'm listening to of hers).

Oh, for those keeping score, I STILL think the re-mix of Rubberband Girl
is the second-best re-mix (next to The Big Sky) Kate's done.  Actually,
those and Cloudbusting are the only TOLERABLE re-mixes she's done.

- Stev0 the devoted

"December will be Magic Again - and here's HOW!" - Penn (but not Teller)