Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-52 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: An occasion for self-inventory

From: sgs5332@cs.rit.edu (Stephen G Siener)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 16:14:20 GMT
Subject: Re: An occasion for self-inventory
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.rit.edu (USENET News Admin)

Following are a few observations from someone new to the newsgroup.

To Jorn:

However you dislike rec.music.gaffa, or perhaps have a distaste for some of
its members, you should realize that restricting the release of the FAQ
doesn't make sense.  The FAQ is for people new to Kate Bush.  I'm sure you
can't argue with the idea of exposing the uninitiated to the wonders of her
music.  Even if the content of the FAQ were changed (an obvious outcome), it
will still serve its purpose, which is undeniably a good one.

In general:

When someone posts something totally absurd, e.g., that Bjork thing,
wouldn't it be better just to ignore it?  And when someone posts something
really ignorant, don't you think that the person is just looking to stir
things up?  The mentality is something akin to that of an arsonist who
starts a fire and then views the conflagration from a safe distance.  It's
not very high-order thinking, so why encourage it by responding?  I guess
the answer is that not everyone can resist, so the whole thing escalates
into something even more absurd.  Then again, maybe r.m.g needs grist for
its mill.  BTW, I don't really agree with that last statement.

Finally, along the same lines, shouldn't this Jorn vs. The World thing be
conducted somewhere else?  It seems pretty personal, so why is it appearing
in r.m.g?  I know it's prime opportunity for those who are into bashing, but
it just seems out of place here.

Steve (IMHO applies to all above, of course)