Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-50 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Image & music (was Bjork :-()

From: Michael Colford <colford@clsn1231.noble.mass.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1993 16:18:46 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Image & music (was Bjork :-()
To: Ecto <ecto@ns1.rutgers.edu>
Cc: Love-hounds <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

As in all the areas of the entertainment world, there is
a double standard when it comes to appearance and "success."
Meatloaf was mentioned, as were Mick Jagger and others.  Two
women who I have often thought of in this category are
Alison Moyet and Ann Wilson (of Heart).  The problem here
is weight.  It seems that Alison can't break in the U.S.  It
seems to me that her size and limited glamour appeal must be the
principle reason.  It certainly can't be her amazing voice.
Heart has been succesful in America, but surely anyone who has
seen their videos know that Ann (lead vocalist) is kept carefully
hidden from the camera due to her weight, and Nancy (the pretty
blonde) is prominently featured.  Clearly, the strength of
Heart (one of their few?) is Ann's voice.  Interestingly enough,
this double standard doesn't seem as prevalent in the U.K.
Is this true?  Well, just felt like mentioning that.  (Deborah
Iyall ex- of Romeo Void is another one.  Oh!  And what about
poor Martha Wash!  How many times have some dance act used her
vocals and then used a skinny, sexy stand-in for video/photo-
graphs/album art!)  It's awfully infuriating.

Michael