Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-50 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Bjork :-(

From: scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us (Stuart Castergine)
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1993 17:09:54 -0500
Subject: Re: Bjork :-(
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

>From: johnch@walypala.sun.com (John Chandler [Contractor])
>
>In article <9312011421.AA27784@cd.columbus.oh.us> scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us
>(Stu Castergine) writes:
>>
>   There are probably hundreds of women out there with voices that would
>   bring tears to your eyes, make you get down on your knees and beg them
>   never to stop singing, who would make you say "Kate Who?" but they are
>   ugly and they'll never get a chance.
>
>Have you heard any?  How about Syd Straw?  I don't know about ugly,
>but she'd never be confused with Paulina Porizkova.

Yeah, this lady who played keyboards and sang in a country band I saw down
in a little hole-in-the-wall in Florida. Can't even remember their name.
Just an acciident that I was there. She topped 300 lb. and was plain as a
post, but boy could she sing.

>        [ . . . ]
>
>   It ain't fair.
>
>Reality is not "fair," nor is it symmetrical.  Lots of great-looking
>guys don't make it because society/the market/our culture doesn't put
>much value on being a prettyboy.  And I don't hear too many guys
>bitching about it.
>
>It ain't fair?  Neither is billions of people starving.  Perspective,
>please!

Oh, please.

I call something unfair and all of a sudden I'm myopically ignoring the
poor, starving people-group-of-the-month.

Take a chill pill.

I'm sure I would get flamed off rec.music.gaffa/love-hounds if I suddenly
decided that, for perspective's sake, I ought to fill the group with
impassioned pleas for the down-trodden throughout the world. Yes, these
narrow-minded love-hounds are callously talking about Kate Bush while
people are starving!

This is a music-related group. Therefore it is perfectly legitimate to
discuss the alleged unfairness of an aspect of the music industry here.
Especially as it relates to female "alternative artists" (hate that label,
anybody got a better term?).

Its importance the the global or cosmic order of things is not particularly
relevant. If it were, we'd just abandon love-hounds entirely and devote the
list to status reports on global humanitarian projects.

On a more philosophical note. Just because life is, in fact, unfair, is
that justification for stoically accepting the reality of that unfairness?
It seems to me that people of conscience must speak out about injustice
when they recognize it.

Simply saying, "Reality is unfair, so stop bitching about the inequity," is
a very defeatist attitude. I do not think whatever good things man has done
in the past few thousand years were accomplished by people with that
attitude.

--
scasterg@delphi.com == Stuart Castergine                          ---
"And maybe I ain't used to maybes smashing in a cold room, cutting |/