Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-50 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Babes in Khaki

From: steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 93 17:43:05 PST
Subject: Babes in Khaki
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Hi there -

A lot of talk has been said here about Bjork's looks, and a little talk
about her musical abilities.  That's not what I've come to talk about
(for the record, I rate her an "eh";  I'll pick up her CD when I can find
it used, what I've heard off of it is not bad, but she's no Kate.  Sort
of the same level I place Happy Whatsername).

What I want to discuss (and what a few people, but not nearly enough) is:
Why are almost all female musicians, um, "babes" (as folks with single-
digit IQ's refer to 'em).  I don't know, so I brought a couple of my
friends, Andrea Dworkin & Rush Limbaugh, in to discuss it.

Me:  Today's topic:  Why are almost all female musicians very attractive?
AD:  It's our patriarchal society which breeds this kind of misogynistic
     attitude.  In order to be successful in any male-controlled field,
     which is just about EVERY field, a woman is STILL judged on her
     looks, NOT her ability.
RL:  Uhhh..... huh?
Me:  So, what can be done?
AD:  Women have to control their creativity from every aspect - talking
     about the music field specifically, a good example is Olivia records,
     run by women completely in every area, from production to packaging
     and marketing.
RL:  Fooood!  (Tries to eat keyboard)
Me:  In an era where musicians such as Tracy Chapman and L7, artists who
     either are NOT your standard "Playboy model", or have in-your-face
     feminist attitudes - yet are very popular with the mainstream public,
     is an institution such as Olivia records - which seems to avoid
     controversy, and is yet unknown by the teeming masses, anachronistic?
AD:  That's the kind of sexist comment I exspect from a male.  A female-
     run business threatens your masculinity, doesn't it?
Me:  Not really, no.  Rush?
RL:  (is busy picking nose)
Me:  Any last comments?
AD:  You have to remember that for every "plain" popular female musician,
     such as, oh, Suzanne Vega, there are a dozen staggeringly popular
     completely untalented female "gorgeous" by society's testosterone-
     soaked standards - Lita Ford comes to mind.  The only solution is
     total revolution!
RL:  (Passes out on floor in drunken stupor)
Me:  Thank you, Andrea Dworkin and Rush Limbaugh

(For the record, I also think Bjork is staggeringly cute)

- Stev0 the cute

"Mewr Bjork Bjork Bjork!" - The Swedish Chef