Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-50 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Bjork :-(

From: jrthiess@hellcat.ecn.uoknor.edu (Justin R Thiessen)
Date: 7 Dec 1993 02:43:16 GMT
Subject: Re: Bjork :-(
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us (Stu Castergine) writes:

>> She looks like a pig, her voice is like tonal diarrhoea and her

>> I think Bjork (a name, BTW which reminds me of pigs, which is very
>> appropriate given her aforementioned exterior) is one of the most
>> untalented, overrated, ugly and blood-before-eyes-generating

>Does anybody find the repeated references to Bjork's appearance
>disconcerting? I have never seen Bjork, so I can't comment, but that
>is not really the point I want to make.

>I have noticed that it seems to be almost necessary to be a knock-out
>babe to succeed as a woman in music. Yes, there have been a few homely
>ones -- Janis Joplin, Mama Cass, a few others (though none spring
>immediately to mind). But there seems to be an unfair emphasis on the
>appearance of women in pop music.

However, _I_ think Bjork is quite attractive...
I like her voice because it is *distinctive* (as opposed to the great number
of voices in modern music that are just included w/ the music for aural
texture; I must admit, though, from what I've heard of her latest album, I'm
not that impressed by the songs - most of them sound too much like uninspired
techno/dance hall music.

For female musicians that aren't drop-dead gorgeous, check out Suzanne Vega,
although I like her look, it seems very austere in comparison to several of
the women you mentioned.

J.