Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-49 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sandy Denny

From: avdavid@teal.csn.org (David Ewing)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 16:52:26 GMT
Subject: Re: Sandy Denny
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@csn.org (The Daily Planet)

dfl@panix.com (Danny O'Bedlam) writes:

>Sandy Denny was the original lead vocal of Fairport Convention.

Not exactly.  Judy Dyble was the original female vocalist of Fairport
Convention.  She appears on their first album - "Fairport Convention".
Denny then joined for their second album "What We Did On Our Holidays".
She can also be found on the excellent fairport discs - "Unhalfbricking"
and "Liege and Lief".  These two are an excellent introduction to the
Denny-era Fairport.  "Heyday", live recordings from the BBC's Peel
sessions was also recently released.

> Her voice was just extraordinary.

Agreed.

An equally important member of early Fairport was the GREAT Richard
Thompson, guitarist/writer extraordinaire.  Now this is one of the
few musicians I would really like to see collaborate with Kate.

David A. Ewing          Avalanche Development Company
david@avalanche.com     Boulder, Colorado