Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-49 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Richard Thompson (was Re: Sandy Denny)

From: greg@deming.eng.ufl.edu (Greg O'Rear)
Date: 1 Dec 1993 20:36:29 GMT
Subject: Re: Richard Thompson (was Re: Sandy Denny)
To: rec-music-gaffa@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

david@avalanche.com writes:
>An equally important member of early Fairport was the GREAT Richard
>Thompson, guitarist/writer extraordinaire.

I know he's supposed to be great, but the only exposure I have to his guitar
playing is on the Nick Drake song "Thoughts of Mary Jane."  He's terrible!
He keeps playing in the wrong fret so that he's way out of tune with Nick's
acoustic and singing.  And the little fills he does are rather poor.  I can
only hope that (1) he was very young, and (2) he was very stoned.  I imagine
he got better.