Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-49 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sandy Denny

From: dfl@panix.com (Danny O'Bedlam)
Date: 30 Nov 1993 01:43:55 -0500
Subject: Re: Sandy Denny
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <9311291728.AA51444@nettech1.nettech.com> dfleenor@nettech.com (super dave?) writes:

>In "Blow Away" Kate mentions Sandy Denny. I was at a music store the other day
>and saw a Sandy Denny box set that looked kinda interesting. Does anyone know
>about her or what her music is like, and would it appeal to a Katefan?

Sandy Denny was the original lead vocal of Fairport Convention.  Her voice
was just extraordinary.  She died very suddenly in an accident in 1977,
and that boxed set (Who Knows Where the Time Goes) was originally out from
Hannibal many years ago on vinyl, just rereleased on CD.  The vinyl was 4
records, and produced by Trevor Horn, her husband.  Its got her solo work,
live, studio, and outtakes with Fairport, also a couple numbers from another
band she was with briefly called Fotheringay.  Also she did one album with
the Strawbs, which is represented.  If you havent heard Fairport this is
one set with some of their best.  Obv theres lots else that F.C. recorded
since, but nobody could recapture her sound.

--
Danny Lieberman PO Box 3131 Church St Sta New York NY 10008-3131 [USA]
dfl@panix.com, danny@echonyc.com, lieberd@cbc.com