Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-49 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sandy Denny

From: neile@u.washington.edu (Neile Graham)
Date: 29 Nov 1993 20:48:17 GMT
Subject: Re: Sandy Denny
To: rec-music-gaffa@cs.washington.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@news.u.washington.edu

In article <9311291728.AA51444@nettech1.nettech.com>,
super dave? <dfleenor@nettech.com> wrote:
>In "Blow Away" Kate mentions Sandy Denny. I was at a music store the other day
>and saw a Sandy Denny box set that looked kinda interesting. Does anyone know
>about her or what her music is like, and would it appeal to a Katefan?

Sandy Denny had stunningly beautiful voice.  Really amazing.  She also
wrote some wonderful songs.

She wouldn't appeal to all Katefans, but for anyone interested in British
folk rock at all she's a must have.  The box set is a wonderful
compilation of her best work and is highly recommended.

The are several discs available here:  _The Original Sandy Denny_, a
compilation of early material, which is pretty good; _Sandy Denny and the
Strawbs_ a collection of her work with that group; she does wonderful
work on several Fairport Convention recordings, the must have from this
time is _Liege & Lief_, though she sang on several other collections
including _Rising for the Moon_, _What We Did On Our Holidays_, etc.;
_Fotheringay_ by the group of the same name that she formed is another
wonderful collection; and four solo albums, of which I would recommend
_Sandy_ and _The Ravens and the Northstar Grassmen_ and not _Rendezvous_
or _Like an Old Fashioned Waltz_ because of their very 70s production
(cheezy strings and all, though her version of "Candle in the Wind" is on
the latter).

Sandy Denny's best is marvellous, and I would recommend the box set to
anyone interested.  If you're not ready to invest in that, there's also a
_Best of Sandy Denny_ disc which is a subset of the box set.  After that
there's Fairport"s _Leige & Lief_ and Fotheringay and _Sandy_ and _The
Ravens_, then you'll want all the best.

--Neile Graham
neile@u.washington.edu