Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-49 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Is Kate goofy?

From: rhogan@chaph.usc.edu (Ron Hogan)
Date: 30 Nov 1993 19:17:51 -0800
Subject: Re: Is Kate goofy?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: rhogan@chaph.usc.edu

steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin) writes:

>In the past, Kate has songs that either mention or are heavily influenced
>by - how should I put it - weirdos.  Gurdjieff, Reich, "Strange Phenomena",
>etc.  And now apparently "Lily" is based on something by the biggest
>weirdo of all, Alister Crowley.

>My question:  Does Kate actually BELIEVE this stuff?  Or does she just think
>it's a good basis for a song?  I mean, I don't believe in Orogones any
>more than I do, say, the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, or God, yet I think
>"Cloudbusting" is a great song.  Is that how Kate looks at it?  Or is
>she goofy?  (Unfortunately, all evidence points this way, yet there is
>always hope...)

Perhaps we could lock her in an insane asylum until she conforms.

Does it really matter whether any of us subscribe to her particular
theological/religious/spiritual views, or if we think they're kooky?
I think the resurrection is kind of weird, but I don't think Amy Grant's
a loony -- why should I think Kate is weird just because she's apparently
read Reich and Crowley?

I won't touch the argument about whether Crowley and the others are weirdos
or not -- that more properly belongs in alt.magick or some other forum --
but it still seems like you're making a pretty judgmental leap.

Ron Hogan