Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-49 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Is Kate goofy?

From: rjc@cogsci.edinburgh.ac.uk
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 02:54:38 GMT
Subject: Is Kate goofy?
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

In article <9312010142.AA00713@bugs.TQS.COM>, Steve Berlin (sb) writes:

sb> In the past, Kate has songs that either mention or are heavily influenced
sb> by - how should I put it - weirdos.  Gurdjieff, Reich, "Strange Phenomena",
sb> etc.  And now apparently "Lily" is based on something by the biggest
sb> weirdo of all, Alister Crowley.

Well, Cloudbusting isn't based on Reich's work, but on his son's
memories. Reich's theories aren't really part of the song, they do
supply some nice images though.

Strange Phenomena is about coincidences. Everyone believes in
coincidences, only the interpretation of them is controvertial. I just
take SP as a perfect description of what we all feel now and again
when the world presents us with something inexplicable.

Lilly is based on a banishing ritual. I think it makes a perfect
basis for a song about overcoming old fears and bad memories.

Besides, I like a lot of music which is based on _far_ more goofy
stuff than this, even (embarassing though it is) some Christian stuff.

And, after all, if we believe in Her, we are in a glass house when it
comes to calling other people's beliefs weird.

But you're right of course, She really, really is.

--
rjc@cogsci.ed.ac.uk		In the circle of fire