Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: HoL Questions

From: jchokey@leland.Stanford.EDU (James Alexander Chokey)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 93 04:35:51 GMT
Subject: Re: HoL Questions
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@leland.Stanford.EDU (Mr News)

In article <4897@heimdall.sdrc.com> david.hollinden@sdrc.com writes:

>2.  Can anyone recommend other music or musicians that have
>    the same general "feel" as Jig of Life?

	You might try asking this on rec.music.celtic.  No, really--  I'm
being perfectly serious.  Kate borrows heavily from traditional Irish
musical styles (i.e. the jig) and instruments on this song, as she also
does on "Night of the Swallow" from _The Dreaming_.  She also uses a lot
of Irish instruments and musicians who usually play modern variants of Irish
folk music on _The Sensual World_ (on which both Davey Spillane and Alan
Stivell appear!)
	So, if you were to post something on rec.music.celtic explaining
that you're a Kate Bush fan who really likes Kate's "Irishy" songs and
were looking for some other music with a similar feel, I'm sure that you'd
get a helpful response.  You may also want to go back and look at some
of the postings on the "Reccomendations for a Newbie" thread on r.m.c--  there
might be something suggestive there.

	--  Jim C. <jchokey@leland.stanford.edu>

P.S.  I would have just saved you the trouble and cross-posted this article
there myself, but I've had trouble cross-posting to/from rec.music.gaffa
before.