Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Red Shoes

From: smith drt <p0070421@cs3.oxford-brookes.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 10:00:33 GMT
Subject: Re: The Red Shoes
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Right here's my two penny worth about KaTe's new album.

Rubberband Girl - Really like this one. I wasn't sure at first when it came out
as the single but it's growing on me. A good, bouncy start to the album - B+

And So Is Love - A tricky one. As I've read in some other postinngs the song
seems slightly unfinished and the lyrics seem a bit clumsy - C+

Eat The Music - Oh I actually like this, I think the album needs at least one
song thats done in a totally mood to the rest of the album. Very carnival like,
very latin, very salsa, whats wrong with it!! - B+

Moments Of Pleasure - The saddest KaTe song I've heard and certainly the only
one thats bought a thats bought tears to my eyes (I know there are plenty more
sad Kate ones out there but none of them are as upfront as this.) I think if
you've got problems then this can be a really cleansing song - A+

Song Of Solomon - Umm this one still hasn't grown on me yet - C

Lily - Excellent! If I may stick my neck out here its sounds very much like the
latter day Depeche Mode, there I've said it - A

The Red Shoes - What a title track! I liked this straight away, I really love
when Kate gets into her Irish moods. A definite dance around the bedroom one - A

Top Of The City - Yet another tricky one. It seems to plod along a bit and it
never really gets anywhere, I think it needs a few more listens to it - B

Constellation Of The Heart - Unlike most other Gaffans I actually like this, is
Kate becoming a soul sister? - B+

Big Stripey Lie - Awesome, moody, weird, disturbing, Kate on Bass and Lead, wow!
Certainly worth a - A

Why Should I Love You - This is one of my favourite tracks of the album. I guess
when I heard that Prince was to do a song on the album I was a bit dubious but
I've been pleasently suprised. The Trio fit in well to. It's also one my
favourite lyric on the album - 'Did you ever see a picture of Jesus laughing?
I bet  he had a beautiful smile, a smile taht could heal.' - A

Your'e The One- A nice tear jerker to end the album with- B+

What an album though, some dodgy tracks (were Kate dodgy tracks here) but even
these are slowly starting to grow on me with every listen of the album. Every
time I listen to it I discover something new, I guess that's the same with all
of her albums.

"Kathy, I'm lost," I said, though | David RT Smith
she was sleeping. I'm empty and   | Oxford Brookes University
aching and I don't know why.      | Computer Services
                                  | Gypsy Lane
S + G                             | Headington
                                  | Oxford, OX3 0BP
SNAFU                             | 0865 443323
Systems Normal All Fu**ed Up      |