Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-42 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The New

From: agough@sedona.intel.com (Andy Gough)
Date: 2 Nov 1993 01:15:41 GMT
Subject: Re: The New
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1.1959.3230.0C27A0C1@satalink.com>, software.interspec@satalink.com (Software Interspec) writes:
> [from KaTe interview]
> >     She is oddly disparaging of albums like Lionheart and Never For
> >Ever now and even then seemed keen to leave this phase behind, perhaps
> >understandably -- she had been given two years to write the songs for
> >The Kick Inside and, allegedly, four weeks to come up with Lionheart.
> ..
>
> A lot of KaTe fanatics will probably snarl (I should know, I was one
> from the The Kick Inside on), but this is my feeling too.  I *never*
> listen to Lionheart any more, and only rarely get Never For Ever out.
> Kate was somewhat disparaging of The Kick Inside, too, calling it
> "juvenile, moon in june" stuff, but I still love this one, and I love
> the later stuff too.  It's just MHO that Lionheart had no redeeming
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> qualities to it. Even in the depths of KaTe fanaticism, when Lionheart
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> first came out, I was somewhat disappointed with it, though of course I
> repressed those dangerous thoughts. ;-)
>
> Tom Biggs

     I understand your disappointment with Lionheart.  I would agree that it's
of uneven quality when compared to The Kick Inside.
     My experience with it differs somewhat from yours, however.  I
"discovered" Kate after The Whole Story was out.  The first three CDs I
owned were TWS, TKI, and Never For Ever.  Lionheart and The Dreaming were
the last two I acquired--some months (years?) later.  So I heard Lionheart
after I'd heard NFE, TWS, and The Hounds of Love.  I still listen to Lionheart
occasionally.
     What I value most of all about Lionheart is that Kate's voice is in good
form and she's singing in a high key.  It's sung in the same high key as
TKI was.  After Lionheart, Kate lowered the pitch somewhat.  So if one likes
the high pitch on TKI, Lionheart doubles the amount one can hear KaTe sing in
that pitch.
     Also, Lionheart has a few gems on it.  "Hammer Horror" comes to mind as
one I like.  Another poster recently listed "symphony in blue" as one of
her favorites.
     So, if KaTe only had 4 weeks to come up with Lionheart, I find it
impressive that Lionheart has a few great songs and several good ones.
     The one thing I have never liked about Lionheart, though, is the cover.
KaTe just looks _stupid_ in that lion costume.  I like the photo on the back,
as it shows off KaTe's face well.  For this photo, I can put the hair in the
perspective that it was the style at the time, but upon reflection, was one
style best left in the past.

Regards,
Andy
--
Disclaimer:
     All views expressed are my own opinions, and not necessarily