Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Eat the Music" video

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 93 17:05 CDT
Subject: Re: "Eat the Music" video
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <2ad63o$rjh@bradley.bradley.edu> Pete Bradley writes:
>In <2aa842$adv@news.ysu.edu> am780@yfn.ysu.edu (William A. White) writes:
>>     The video is a mood piece, those that find it boring or
>>lacking in content don't grasp that Kate obviously wants the viewer to feel
>>the music.
>
>To quote my fiance:  "It puts you to sleep."
>
>I really hope that that wasn't Kate's intent.
>
>And to imply that we are simply uncultured barbarians incapable of
>understanding her divine subtlety is....ridiculous at best.

   The problem that you may have with the video is context. _Eat The
Music_ isn't really a "music video," it's a segment of a film. A film
with a story-line, acting, direction and other elements. Some claim
that she looks bored, I think she looks like she is under a spell.
Given the story of _The Red Shoes_, the latter is a *bit* more likely.
Very few films of any length can be understood by excising a three
minute segment.

  It may have been a mistake to release the video alone, without the
album (which may explain why we haven't seen this video on eMpTyVee
again. Maybe Kate wanted it pulled.)

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)