Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Eat the Music" video on 120 minutes

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1993 01:09:11 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: "Eat the Music" video on 120 minutes
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

I was ready for the video for EtM that just played on 120 Minutes, because in
the course of a fine weekend with visitor Andy Marvick, it was revealed to me
that the _extended version is the better one_!  "Eat the Music" prolongs its
moment until you fall in with the fruit.  It's as simple as that.

We confirmed the tentative answer to my question about the version of Ne
T'Enfuis Pas used on TWW that Andrew Russ had e-mailed me as a surmise he
couldn't confirm:  it is the mix used for the second release, with UBdI, where
the vocal is jacked up out of the swamp.

We also did some systematic earballing of the bass tracks for EtM, RBG, and BSL
since one the particular virtues of my Shahinian Obelisk speakers (driven at
600 watts/channel available power) is a notably dry, uncolored, but serious
bass.  The _colors_ of the bass tracks on these songs are distinctively
different.  EtM has the sound of big stage speakers, some of that pushed-to-
the-limit-of-travel clipping that makes for a 'live' sound--consistent with the
rest of the mix.  RBG has a growling, rough, orange-colored bass sound--heavy
in a completely different way.  BSL has an astonishingly intense, direct,
clear-to-the-bottom line, whose clarity of timbre plays a major part in setting
up the violin of Nigel Kennedy to be so searingly consoling/disconsolate at the
end.

This is going to be a messy album, people.

						 	       Peter Manchester
	"C'mon, we all sing"			  pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
						       72020.366@compuserve.com