Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate comes to your Multiplex

From: Gord Locke <glocke@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 93 17:26:29 GMT-3:30
Subject: Re: Kate comes to your Multiplex
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET (the rec.music.gaffa address)

In article <9310051836.AA06340@bugs.TQS.COM> Steveo writes:

>There are not one, but TWO films playing with Kate References!
>The first is "For Love Or Money", about a concierge!  (Quick, fill in the
>blanks:  "I'm the ______, chez moi, honey/ won't let you in _______________")
>I have no idea if the film itself has any Kate References; I'm not going
>to see it because I'm allergic to Michael J. Fox.

	HA!  When I heard "concierge" in the ad for the movie of course
the first thing I thought of was "Get Out of My House", but the "for love
or money" thing never clicked till now.  That's weird ...
	Unfortunately, I saw the movie (Malice was sold out, and we had
come all that way ...) and yes, it does suck, and no, there are no Kate
references that I could pick out.  Although there was a pretty obscure
Julia Child reference if you're quick enough to catch it.  The movie was
full of quick little jokes that were hard to keep up with.
	AnyWAY, chris williams writes:

>    The really strange bit is this: the original title of "For Love Or
> Money" was (I swear) "The Concierge." They must have figured that most
> people in Micheal J. Fox's audience wouldn't know what a "concierge" is.
> So maybe somebody in power is a Kate fan.

	Maybe, but the title of the movie refers to the choice he has to
make between his "love" (like Hollywood writers know the meaning of the
word) for the lead bimbo in the movie and his "dream" of owning a hotel.
Reeeeeal corny and formulaic movie -- the plot was right out of a SitCom.