Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Import ban on Eat the Music

From: pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman)
Date: 30 Sep 1993 09:01:02 -0500
Subject: Re: Import ban on Eat the Music
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <ericfCE63ou.BxH@netcom.com> ericf@netcom.com (Eric France) writes:
>Being in the UK, you might not be up to date on recent events in the
>music industry in this country.  The music industry in the US has now
>become so greedy that they are trying to control the aftermarket
>lifecycle of compact disks; to wit, there are ongoing attempts to
>do away with the sales of used CDs, by simple expedient of denying
>sales of merchandise to stores which carry used disks.  They have enlisted
>a handful of naive artists to support them in this effort (Garth Brooks
>for one).

Unless I'm mistaken, this furore died down a couple weeks ago, with
all of the Majors backing down after a particular music chain that
was targeted filed a class action anti-trust suit.
--
Pete Hartman		       Bradley University	pwh@bradley.bradley.edu
          "The guy who puts the trees in the holes isn't here today."