Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Import ban on Eat the Music

From: ed@wente.llnl.gov (Ed Suranyi)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 10:34:33 -0700
Subject: Re: Import ban on Eat the Music
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <ericfCE63ou.BxH@netcom.com> you write:
>From article <9309300938.AA05307@ginkgo>, by nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk:
>> I just rang up a big record dealer in the UK and asked whether they
>> had any copies of the US Eat the Music singles on any format. They told me
>> that there was an import ban on it and that officially no one should
>> be bringing any copies into the UK.

> there are ongoing attempts to
>do away with the sales of used CDs

I don't think the ban has anything to do with the controversy over
used CDs, but rather is a manifestation of restrictions on parallel
imports that have been around for a long time.  Those restrictions
have in many cases not been enforced, and I often wish they would be
removed entirely, but they are most likely the source of the problem.

Ed
ed@wente.llnl.gov