Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Eat the Music

From: Alex Gibbs <arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.arizona.EDU>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1993 03:16:32 -0700
Subject: Re: Eat the Music
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

from another thread Valerie Nozick writes:
> fester. One of the things that has made KaTe special to me is the
> intimacy of so mmany of her songs. Her songs make you _feel_ and become
> involved, rather than just something to play as background music.

I agree.

> The fact that EtM didn't do any of this, did not make me joyful as some
> of her other playful music has done, and did not make me feel anything
> but disappointment, is what is wrong with the song. Perhaps the song just
> doesn't relate much to my life, or I just don't get it, but it is too
> repetitious for my taste. If writing this song made KaTe happy, then it
> has served its entire purpose. Whether we like it on love-hounds does not
> matter, since she is one of the few artists writing music for herself
> rather than to make money. I respect this in KaTe, and love her for it.

It *really* moved me, literally.  After a shitty day I finally heard
EtM for the first time and it helped me forget my numerous problems
and made me move and dance.  This has not happened in a long long
time and I thank Kate for it.  I hope she had fun making it, it sure
sounds like she did.  :)

I agree it is repetitious, which is usually something I hate, but I have
no trouble listening to the two versions back-to-back.  However, I do
think it was a bad idea to put them next to each other anyway.

jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu writes:
> For the record, count me as one of the folks who absolutely adores the song
> (I like it and RBG more than BSL).  Lyrically it's wonderful, and the music
> is incredibly infectious--the most danceable KaTesong since "The Big Sky."
> Nothing since then has made me want, nay need to move the way ETM does.
> It's glorious.  So's the remix.  Rubberband Girl is loads of fun but the

My sentiments almost exactly.  I haven't heard RBG yet.
---
arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.arizona.edu
"Duct tape is like 'the force'; it has a light side and a dark side
and it holds the universe together..."  -- Carl Zwanzig