Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate is God

From: jdrukman%dlsun87@us.oracle.com (Jon Drukman)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 10:02:37 PDT
Subject: Re: Kate is God
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Mark Semich writes:
>Many people seem to be suffering from the delusion that there is
>something wrong with Kate's new singles.  They post articles
>complaining about how ETM or RBG or BSL aren't up to snuff, and how
>they are dissapointed with Her latest offerings.  I get the impression
>that these same people are upset that Her songs aren't what they
>expected or would have done themselves.

>Get ready for a surprise:  Kate isn't known for doing the expected.

absolutely.  so why the hell do these records sound like cookie-cutter
pop that anybody with a few hours to kill could've churned out?  (BSL
excepted, of course)

>Every album that She has released has been accompanied by reactions
>along the lines of, "What is *that*?",  "Too weird,"  "Nobody could
>ever like that," and "Just who does this woman think she is, anyways?"

I wish those were the reactions to these new songs.  Unfortunately,
it's more like "god, this sounds like normal pop music!  whatever
happened to the weird freaky chick who sang Wuthering Heights?
where's the innovation?  the invention?  the INTELLIGENCE?"

>I love Rubberband Girl, Eat the Music, and Big Stripey Lie.  There is
>a lot more to each of these songs than people are letting themselves
>see.

wishful thinking.

>And I still believe, as I did when it was originally released,
>that Candle in the Wind is a beautiful, moving piece.

moves me right over the toilet, it does.

>If you don't like Her music, don't listen to it.  I can but only be
>sorry for you.

save your pity for happy rhodes fans.

--
Jon Drukman                                         jdrukman%dlsun87@oracle.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.