Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate is God

From: mas@csa.bu.edu (Mark A. Semich)
Date: 14 Sep 1993 14:39:25 GMT
Subject: Kate is God
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I find it extremely annoying that love-hounds is turning into a
rag-on-Kate group.

Many people seem to be suffering from the delusion that there is
something wrong with Kate's new singles.  They post articles
complaining about how ETM or RBG or BSL aren't up to snuff, and how
they are dissapointed with Her latest offerings.  I get the impression
that these same people are upset that Her songs aren't what they
expected or would have done themselves.

Get ready for a surprise:  Kate isn't known for doing the expected.

Every album that She has released has been accompanied by reactions
along the lines of, "What is *that*?",  "Too weird,"  "Nobody could
ever like that," and "Just who does this woman think she is, anyways?"

I believe it is obvious just how clueless these naysayers have been.

Kate is an extremely talented artist who's voice is a gift from the
gods.  I consider myself to be very fortunate that Kate creates music
and permits us to listen to it.

I love Rubberband Girl, Eat the Music, and Big Stripey Lie.  There is
a lot more to each of these songs than people are letting themselves
see.  And I still believe, as I did when it was originally released,
that Candle in the Wind is a beautiful, moving piece.

If you don't like Her music, don't listen to it.  I can but only be
sorry for you.
	    "And down the wave and in the flame was borne
			   A naked babe..."
mark a. semich                                               mas@csa.bu.edu