Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Eat The Music [The Seeds Of Love?] : another reaction

From: hart@corona.math.vt.edu (Heath David)
Date: 11 Sep 1993 00:03:54 GMT
Subject: Eat The Music [The Seeds Of Love?] : another reaction
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: Heath.David@vtserf.cc.vt.edu

Hmm...Eat The Music *FINALLY* surfaced today in this pretty how town.
If you're tired of reading everyone's reactions to this disc, skip
this post -- it's not for you.

First, the cover:  WOW.  I like the cover better than I like the song.
It's given me a lot to think about.  The cover is so...so *ugly*.
After the beautiful photography and artwork on her older singles, this
one is so deliberately bleah.

I had read in here that it was "a bunch of fruit".  I'd like to add
to this, that all the fruits pictured (pomegranates, watermelons, grapes,
etc.) bear seeds *inside* the fruit.  No strawberries.  No bananas.

I feel compelled to interpret the song in light of this cover.
Despite the light, bouncy music, this song is really dark, IMO.
This interpretation seems to be quite different from other folks'
interpretations, so give me a little slack here:

 This song is about a man who's involved with an obsessed, abusive
 woman.  The relationship is unhealthy for him, and leaves him
 drained.
        "Split me open with devotion,
         you put your hands in and rip my heart out.
         Does he conceal what he really feels?"
 Like too many women in abusive relationships, he lacks the empowerment
 to change the situation.
        "He's a woman at heart
         and I love him for that.
         Let's split him open
         Like a pomegranate
         Insides out."
 I can't decide whether the next line is intended to suggest
 physical abuse, or is just metaphorical:
        "All is revealed
         Not only women bleed."

She's singing "A song of seeds, the food of love", but I can't imagine
phrases like "split me open", "rip my heart out", and "rip them to
pieces with sticky fingers" meaning anything positive about love.
The ugliness of the butchered fruit and the woman's hand clawing
into the melon on the cover tends to reinforce my conviction that
this is *not* a pretty song.  The bouncy caribbean beat lends
wry irony to these dark lyrics.

Someone please convince me I'm dead wrong on this.

Heath