Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Eat The Music [The Seeds Of Love?] : another reaction

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tree of Schnopia)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 93 15:09:22 GMT
Subject: Re: Eat The Music [The Seeds Of Love?] : another reaction
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

In <26r4la$6q7@vtserf.cc.vt.edu> hart@corona.math.vt.edu (Heath David) writes:

>I feel compelled to interpret the song in light of this cover.

Now that you've suggested it, I did the same thing, and came up with
something else.  Read on...

> This song is about a man who's involved with an obsessed, abusive
> woman.  The relationship is unhealthy for him, and leaves him
> drained.
>        "Split me open with devotion,
>         you put your hands in and rip my heart out.
>         Does he conceal what he really feels?"
> Like too many women in abusive relationships, he lacks the empowerment
> to change the situation.
>        "He's a woman at heart
>         and I love him for that.
>         Let's split him open
>         Like a pomegranate
>         Insides out."
> I can't decide whether the next line is intended to suggest
> physical abuse, or is just metaphorical:
>        "All is revealed
>         Not only women bleed."

>She's singing "A song of seeds, the food of love", but I can't imagine
>phrases like "split me open", "rip my heart out", and "rip them to
>pieces with sticky fingers" meaning anything positive about love.
>The ugliness of the butchered fruit and the woman's hand clawing
>into the melon on the cover tends to reinforce my conviction that
>this is *not* a pretty song.  The bouncy caribbean beat lends
>wry irony to these dark lyrics.

Yikes...you know, I reread this, and you may be right anyway.  My idea was
that the cover looks childlike...the glee of ripping up fruit and spraying
juice everywhere...the sort of joy-in-messiness that motivates watergun
fights, food fights, etc.  So I was wondering if it was a sort of delight in
opening up someone who's closed in on himself.

But maybe not.

>Someone please convince me I'm dead wrong on this.

I can't disprove you (yet).  Check the envelope (rope, Hall, Mr. Green).

Drewcifer
--
----  Andrew D. Simchik ? as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu ? Tree of Schnopia
\ ----  HAIL ERIS!  ALL HAIL DISCORDIA! ? BITE ME, IT'S FUN!  ?   shade