Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: eat the muzak (& other stuff)

From: jlburk01@ulkyvx.louisville.edu (SYZYGY)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1993 19:54:13 GMT
Subject: Re: eat the muzak (& other stuff)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@hermes.louisville.edu (Netnews)

> I wanted to avoid saying this in Gaffa, but doesn't it remind you all of BAD
> Gloria Estefan? I think that the Mambo Kings soundtrack, and 'Conga' are a
> better source of latin music. This is latin-lite, and will BOMB in the charts.
> It isn't even 'alternative' sounding, so the radio stations that could have payed
> attention won't, and they will have a good reason. Makes you wonder if KaTe
> was suspended in Guava for 4 years... :-)

That's one of the things that went thru my head when I first listened to it.  I
think it's fair BUT I really really think it was a poor choice to be the
American single.  Who decided this and what were they thinking?  It's an ok
song but I highly doubt it would fly here.  Now, "Rubberband Girl", THAT song
is great and would do much, much better in the states.  Luckily, I'm allowed to
play import singles on the new music show because, if I have my way, it'll open
the show!  I like "Big Stripey Lie" quite a bit as well but I haven't listened
to it enough to say anything noone else has said:).
I'll tell ya though, yesterday was a TERRIBLE day for me and Kate saved it once
again!:)  I walked into work and my manager said, "I have something for you."
I knew immediately...KATE'S SINGLES ARE IN!!!  I bought the "Rubberband Girl"
import (wonderful!) and snagged the "Eat the Music" promo.
She may be able to salvage the rest of today for me too...Now, school and some
other stuff was crap.  The album has been delayed until January? NOOOOOO!
Unless my copy of the Brazil soundtrack came in, someone's gonna get hurt.
Oh, also, we got a promo of Jane Siberry's new album and I was able to give it
a listen.  I was pretty impressed but I can already tell that it's one of those
albums that I'll like more and more as I hear it more and more.  I can't
remember song names yet but I know I was particularly impressed with track
number 5.  I think it was something about "all the candles in the
world"..hmmm...something like that.
Also, I was wondering, do any of you know anything about a group called The
Kindness of Strangers?  Any opinions?  I got to listen to "Hope" yesterday and
was completely taken by it.  The strings are incredible.

JILL L. BURKART                                  JLBURK01@ULKYVX.LOUISVILLE.EDU
	"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does
     not become a monster.  And when you look in the abyss, the abyss also
     looks into you."  --Nietzsche
                                 FLUSH RUSH!