Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: INFO: Greenwich VIllage (NYC) music guide, Sept. 1993.

From: v088kczb@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Bruce L Young)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1993 15:37:00 GMT
Subject: Re: INFO: Greenwich VIllage (NYC) music guide, Sept. 1993.
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nntp@acsu.buffalo.edu

In article <Sep.7.23.04.47.1993.13254@pilot.njin.net>, gajarsky@pilot.njin.net (Bob Gajarsky - Hobokenite) writes...

>	The Unofficial Guide to Music in Greenwich Village, Sept. 1993
>
>	HELP!  I'm looking for people who have different
> tastes in music to make contributions to this list.  Specifically,
>people who are fans of one specific artist and people who are into
>either techno, rap, country, heavy metal, classical, or 50's-60's
>are ENCOURAGED to submit stuff to me.  I'll include it in future
>guides.  Thanks!

This initially seemed interesting, but why the restriction to Greenwich
Village?  I think that NYC residents might be interested in any quality
music shops that can be found throughout Manhattan and the other
boroughs.  I also would be interested to see a more extensive forum of
this type, which would include netters from other geographic locales.
A newsletter, by the way, seems to be the appropriate format for this.

>	If I forgot your favourite record shop, well, I'm sorry.  Maybe
>we'll include it in a future edition.

Yep. Forgot ALL the ones in Boston.

>(NYC subway directions deleted)

This is getting annoying.  I've had many wonderful nights out in Greenwich
Village, but I'm beginning to detect a little narrowness of cultural
vision.  You know, the sort that keeps you from being distracted by
those irrelevant details that occur north of 12th and south of Houston...

>	Never mind the chain stores, here's the record buyer's guide:

(15-screen elaboration of prime NYC record stores and - jeez! - RESTAURANTS
to visit on your next trip - all mercifully deleted)

As I said earlier, the appropriate forum for this sort of extended info
is a newsletter.  I resent having to cursor through 15 pages of dreck
pertaining to record shops I may never visit simply because someone
wants so badly to demonstrate that "da city" is the center of the
cultural universe.  Please.  Take this crap elsewhere.

>	Without sounding stuck up, New York offers the
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>best selection of used music anywhere in the northeast.

Sorry, Bob. Too late.

>The stores that I rate as just so-so would probably be
>considered great elsewhere; I was told that Second Coming
>in New York is much better than the one in Boston, which is
>"great", but I consider it (in terms of used discs) nothing
>special.

For what it's worth, the Second Coming in Boston is a wonderful shop.
Solid selection of used and live stuff.  There's also several others of note,
which I'm willing to share with interested parties via e-mail.  These
are both more low-key and less pricey than the NYC shops I've seen.  But
you're obviously convinced that any NYC shop must be better than any shop
elsewhere.  Big hint, Bob.  Size plus pretension does not equal QUALITY.

-Bruce Young (v088kczb@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu)