Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Label Change

From: ed@wente.llnl.gov (Ed Suranyi)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 93 10:04:08 -0700
Subject: Re: Label Change
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <26i0qt$2ci@sungy.Germany.Sun.COM> you write:

>Does anybody have the whole story 8-) of KaTe's switch from EMI to Sony
Music.
>Could it be that KaTe's more 'up-to-date' sound is a consequence of the
switch???

First of all, this switch ocurred only in the USA, as far as I am aware.
She is still on EMI everywhere else in the world.

In 1987 EMI-America was having severe financial and artistic problems.
Many artists on the label weren't happy with them, and lots of them left.
Kate's contract happened to be up at that time, and I guess she was among
those who were not quite satisfied, because she shopped around for a
better deal.  CBS Records apparently gave her a contract that satisfied
her, because she signed with them.  We still don't know anything about the
details of this contract.  CBS was subsequently bought by Sony.

Ed
ed@wente.llnl.gov