Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Jane Siberry: The Walking

From: marek@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Marek Lugowski)
Date: 5 Sep 1993 05:33:01 GMT
Subject: Re: Jane Siberry: The Walking
To: rec-music-gaffa@relay1.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

	bilver!bdoherty@osceola.cs.ucf.edu (Benjamin J Doherty):

>I just recently became interested in Jane Siberry with her new album "When
>I was a boy."  Being the completist that I am, I must have everything.
>Just as with Kate, Sarah McLachlan, and Tori.  Now, at Peaches Music &
>Video I used this system called "muze" which lists all available CDs,
>organized by different criteria.  NOW, The Walking, by Jane Siberry comes
>with this entry:

>Jane Siberry
>The Walking
>POP/ROCK Dept.
>No Longer Made
>Reprise
>25678
>
>0 75992 56782 4
>
>Is it UTTERLY IMPOSSIBLE to get this album?  Is it an unneeded compilation
>album?  I'm thinking that since they BOTHERED to list it that it would be
>still be available somehow.  The system doesn't list everything, so why would
>it list something that is unavailable?

It's a crime, that's what it is.  I happen to think that _The Walking_ is
her best work ever.  It doesn't help to have seen her in a small charming
candle-lit club in Dallas on that tour.  It was an A+ performance.

I suggest that it is no longer made because it is too brilliant for idiot
consumers in the "POP/ROCK Dept."  It is truly good music, if taking
chances everywhere, scoring bigtime, but not always panning out everywhere
is truly good music.  My favorites:  "Lobby", "Red High Heels", "Ingrid
(and the Footman), "Lena Is a White Table".  But every cut has some element
of brilliance in it.  Challenging spin on the first try; addictive over time.

I used to have two copies but I gave one away to my ex-gf who prizes it.
Try used CD stores or beg other people's gf's/bf's -- the ones who don't
like it as much as Susan, you know, the "POP/ROCK Dept." power customers.

				-- Marek