Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

considerations ...

From: henrik@husc.harvard.edu
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 93 12:21:18 -0400
Subject: considerations ...
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

While there has been a lot of hubbub about how "commercial" the singles are,
people should bear in mind that the idea of releasing a single is to
put the most commercial songs from the album out in the public ear to
stimulate sales.  Hopefully, they represent the album enough that the
listening public will not be disappointed with their purchase, but this
is not always the case.

For example, Kirsty MacColl's excellent album _Electric Landlady_ - the
lead single sounded only even vaguely like one other track on the album.
I loved it, but I bet a lot of people were surprised.

I would guess also that there are probably a number of tracks on the new
album that are going to be as different as "The Big Sky" and "Waking The Witch"
(which are both excellent songs, though one is undoubtedly more commercial
than the other).

I also think "Rubberband Girl" is the most fun track I've heard from
Her BushNess in a long time.  There really weren't a lot of *fun* tracks
on _The Sensual World_.

					larry...