Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: B.F.P.O.

From: Darren Turner <d_turner@postoffice.utas.edu.AU>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1993 02:19:49 GMT
Subject: Re: B.F.P.O.
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@postoffice.utas.edu.AU

rjc@cogsci.edinburgh.ac.uk (Richard Caley) writes:

>BFPO isn't generally used as the name of an organisation (though it
>might mean that too), it's the form of a postal address:

>	Private A. Squaddy,
>	152nd Regmt. Royal Highland Spud Bashers,
>	B F P O 666

>plus presumably some other stuff. Ie, it's like a postal/zip code for
>getting mail to people in the services whose physical address might be
>variable or even secret. So, `coming home from BFPO' means coming home
>from some forces unit.

	B.F.P.O. stands for British Forces Posted Overseas.

	I know this as my father used to be one.

						Darren

- Darren Turner   (u894486)     - Captain Kirk : Oh, we come in peace, shoot  -
- Undergraduate                 -     to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill.  -
- University of Tasmania        -     We come in peace shoot to kill,         -
- Australia                     -        Scotty beam me up !                  -
- d_turner@bruny.cc.utas.edu.au -                                             -