Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Willie Nelson

From: heretic@zeus.tamu.edu (Evolve or Perish)
Date: 6 Aug 1993 21:03 CDT
Subject: Willie Nelson
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hey - chill on the Willie-bashing!

I grew up listening to - and hating - country music. It's ignorant, sexist
and repetitive. Worse yet - it's musically uninteresting.

However, when I go to my parents' house, there's no escaping it - and this
has led to the following revelation:

Willie's pretty cool.

If you think the gaffans and Shinehead O'Connor fans are having a difficult
time with this album, imagine how tough it must be on the beer swillin',
pickup-drivin' forces o' decency. There's Willie - an American Icon, fer Gawd's
sake! - and he's consortin' with those drug-usin' long-hair women's libbers
and hippie freaks! What's the world comin' to?

Kudos to Willie for challenging both his audience and the audience of music
that he respects. I don't think Hank "I'd like to shoot 'im wit mah ol' 45"
Williams Jr. will be pairing up with Sting anytime soon...

Just rambling,
b r e t t

     |	Why do we only protest war when there's a war? Why do we only |
     |	defend the clinics when they're attacked? Why are we always   |
     |	reacting? Let's activate something! Let's fuck shit up! What  |
     |	ever happened to protesting just for the sake of protesting?  |
     |	MY OPINIONS ARE NOT MY OWN. IT'S THE CIA MIND-CONTROL LASERS. |